On being hospitalised

It all started with my hands going numb (pins and needles rather than no-feeling numb), then my legs, then half my face. I could say that last week hasn’t exactly been the best. I was so caught up with work (2 events in 2 weeks!), caught up with tuition (end of year examinations), caught up with my own marketing law exam, and to top it all off, the time of the month turning me into a fuming dragon one second, a sobbering mess the next. Of course, my man got the brunt of it all.

It was terrible.

After complaining to my dad about the pins and needles, my dad rushed me to the hospital, worried that I might be getting a stroke. After waiting in line, and talking to a doctor in the ER, I was admitted into the hospital. For the first time in my life.

They settled me into a wheelchair, no idea what for, since I was still walking around just fine, except for that annoying feeling when I walk. I was wheeled into the ward, and just left there. All the patients around me were already sleeping and my parents had gone home to collect my things. It was then that I learnt, you can feel awkward when you are alone as well.

Soon, a nurse came, brought me the patient uniform (which was really a pink pyjamas with lace, a style which I had to don for a couple of days), and left me there again. *cue crickets chirp*. After my parents came and left with my stuff, all I did was lie on my bed, trying to absorb the unfamiliar sounds around before dozing off.

2.20 am

Nurses woke me up to take blood for blood test. 4 whole tubes of it.

3.45 am

Nurses woke me up to take blood pressure.

4.45 am

Nurses woke me up. Wheeled me to take X-Ray.

This went on for the other 3 nights I was there, minus the blood test. Blood pressure was taken every hour. Patients are usually up at around 7am everyday. It came to a point whereby I will wake up when the nurses turned on the lights, look around to see if anyone is still sleeping, and then go back to sleep if I saw someone else still sleeping. My man and family came to see me every night, best bud came with balloons. Fell asleep while doing an MRI scan. Being pushed Panadols during medication time.


It may all sound pretty scary, but worry not dear readers, for I am fine (pardon the weird use of language; been watching Downton Abbey as I had practically nothing to do all day whilst hospitalised). The neurologist’s diagnose for me was that I was suffering from a bout of Acephalgic Migraine. Something to do with the blood vessels constricting in my brain, thus leading to not enough blood flow to the rest of the body. It mainly has got to do with too much stress and anxiety. So yea, I’m fine now.

I apologize for the fairly monotonous vibe this post is giving. I have been on hospital leave for the most part of last week, thus still feeling really sluggish and lazy.

Signing off~


3 thoughts on “On being hospitalised

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s